Lake Wales home
Lake Wales Ridge Pesticide Monitoring: Publications and Presentations
Publications and Symposia
- Choquette, A.F., 2014, Pesticides and nitrate in groundwater underlying citrus croplands, Lake Wales Ridge, central Florida, 1999-2005, U.S. Geological Survey Science in Florida: USGS Open-File Report 2013-1271, 35 p., available at http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2013/1271/.
- Choquette, A.F., Freiwald, R.S., Kraft, Carol, 2012, Sampling history and 2009-2010 results for pesticides and inorganic constituents monitored by the Lake Wales Ridge Groundwater Network, central Florida: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2012-1231, 19 p., available only at http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2012/1231/.
- Choquette, A.F., Freiwald, R.S., Kraft, C., Daiker, D.H., Rygiel, T., 2012, Temporal changes in groundwater concentrations of pesticides and nitrate, and their relation to regional agrichemical usage patterns and other potential controlling factors: 8th National Monitoring Conference, Portland, Oregon, April 30-May 4, 2012 (abstract).
- Choquette, A.F., Kraft, C.L., Daiker, D.H., Kroening, S.E., Lucas, P.A., Meyer, M.T., Schroeder, M.P., and Hicks, R.W., 2009, Pesticides and Degradates (including Triazines) in Ground Water and Seepage Lakes in a Sand Aquifer: Implications for Persistence and Fate: The 2nd International Conference on the Occurrence, Fate, Effects, and Analysis of Emerging Contaminants in the Environment, August 4-7, 2009, Colo. State Univ., Ft. Collins, Colorado. (abstract and poster).
- Choquette, A.F., and Kroening, S.E., 2009, Water quality and evaluation of pesticides in lakes in the Ridge citrus region of central Florida: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2008-5178, 55 p.
- Choquette, A.F., and Kroening, S.E., 2007, Regional monitoring for pesticides, including triazine degradates, in ground water and lakes of central Florida: Annual Conference, Mid-South Region of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, May 22-24, 2007, Nashville, Tn. (invited presentation).
- Choquette, A.F., and Kroening, S.E., 2006, Pesticide and pesticide degradates in a closely linked ground-water/surface-water system in a sand aquifer system: Initial comparisons: in Proceedings of the 16th Tennessee Water Resources Symposium, American Water Resources Association, April 19-21, 2006, Burns, Tn., pp. 1B-1 (abstract), 229 p.
- Gilliom, R.J., Barbash, J.E., Crawford, C.G., Hamilton, P.A., and others, 2006, Herbicides in Florida Ground Water, in The Quality of Our Nation's Waters: Pesticides in the Nation's Streams and Ground Water, 1992-2001: U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1291, p. 136.
- Choquette, A.F., and Kroening, S.E., 2005, Elevated nitrate, pesticides, and pesticide degradates in ground water and lakes on the Lake Wales Ridge, a unique hydrologic and biologic region in central Florida in U.S. Geological Survey Science in Florida: USGS Open-File Report 2005-1213, Florida Integrated Science Center Meeting, May 2005, Orlando, Fl., Proceedings.
- Choquette, A.F., Turner, R.D., Haber, J.D., Lucas, P.A., Daiker, D.H., and DeHaven, E.C., 2005, Temporal variability of agricultural chemicals in ground water and implications for water-quality sampling: The 15th Tennessee Water Resources Symposium, April 13-15, 2005, Burns, TN., American Water Resources Association, Proceedings, p. 2B-6 - 2B-14.
- Choquette, A.F., Moore, D.K, Dehaven, E.C., Haber, J.D.,and Turner, R.M., 2003, A litmus area for transport of agricultural chemicals into ground water and lakes, central Florida: May 12-14, 2003, American Water Resources Association, 2003 Spring Specialty Conference - Agricultural Hydrology and Water Quality, Kansas City, MO., Proceedings, AWRA Technical Publication Series No. TPS-03-01. [Abstract]
- Choquette, A.F., and Sepulveda, A.A., 2000, Design of a shallow ground water network to monitor agricultural chemicals, Lake Wales Ridge, Central Florida: U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 00-4134, 35 p.
Liaison and Communications
Liaison meetings with the public and citrus industry representatives have been ongoing since the conceptual stages of the project. Project staff have presented updates and data reviews at the Highlands County Agricultural Extension Office in Sebring, Florida, for citrus industry representatives, the public, and scientists. Technical staff has also met periodically with agricultural chemical industry staff.
Project results have been also been presented at meetings and forums which have included the Florida Pesticide Review Council; the University of Florida Institute and Food and Agricultural Sciences; Federal Tribal Ground Water and Pesticide Management Plan Workshop, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection Integrated Water Resource Monitoring (IWRM) Program, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the American Association of Pesticide Control Officials, Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services-Office of Agricultural Water Policy, and the USGS National Water Quality Assessment Program.
Selected Recent Presentations
Choquette, A.F., 2010, "New Frontiers Posed by Synthetic Organic Chemicals in Water Resources, and Overview of Pesticide Monitoring in Florida Lakes and Groundwater": Invited seminar, Vanderbilt University, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Nashville, Tennessee, February 26, 2010.
Choquette, A.F., 2010, "Pesticide and Nitrate Sampling in Florida's Ridge Citrus, with Emphasis on the Long-Term Groundwater Network", Seminar presented to the USGS National Water Quality Assessment Program's National Pesticide Synthesis Team, Groundwater Trends Research Group, January 13, 2010.
Choquette, A.F., 2009, "Pesticide Occurrence in the Lakes of the Ridge Citrus Region of Central Florida, and Linkages with Groundwater Quality", Seminar presented to the Environmental Quality Issues Committee of the American Association of Pesticide Control Officials State FIFRA Issues Research and Evaluation Group, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Water and Office of Pesticide Programs, October 19, 2009, USEPA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
Choquette, A.F., 2009, "Water Quality and Pesticides in Lakes in the Ridge Citrus Region, Central Florida, and Linkages with Groundwater Quality", Seminar presented to the Florida Pesticide Review Council, September 24, 2009, at University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences North Florida Research and Education Center, Quincy, Florida.